Sunday, September 13, 2009

"WE THE PEOPLE, SILENT NO MORE"

Being a European, and preocuupied with rather pressing issues in our neck of the wood, it apparently took me some time to grasp the ever increasing importance of the so-called tea parties across the USA. But I was shocked wide awake - and I suppose quite a few other Europeans too, insofar their media were honest enough to report about it - by the massive rally held in Washington DC on Saturday September 12. Regulare reader and commenter Adriane provided this link to Protein Wisdom, who have good coverage. The photo below is from their site:




I did not know there were so many nazis, uh, fiscally responsible people in the US of A.

I took the following pic from The New Boston Tea Party's site:




But the demo in Washington DC apparently wasn't the only one. The following pic is from a 2,500-3,000 strong demo in Los Angeles, no less:





From AmericanpowerBlog. Anon will not believe me when I say I wish it wasn't true what's on that guy's sign. But it is. I wish it wasn't true. And while this time I won't go as far as to say bluntly that what's on it IS true, I fear that nevertheless, it isn't too far off the mark.

Then I came across this video:



If I were a crybaby, I'd say that it brought a tear to my eye. Hey, wait a minute (takes handkerchief).

No, serious. This huge demonstration came as a pleasant surprise to me. Watching this all from across the Atlantic, I may be wrong about my impression that this massive movement across the US is not borne by big names, at least not per se. But so far I do indeed not see any well-known GOP Senator or rightwing pundit profiling him- or herself as the leader of these demos. Which means I have to conclude it is truly a grassroots movement. And that is giving me hope. Over here in Europe, our corrupt, short-sighted, spineless slimeball cowards of politicans enact measures against the will of the population. A majority against gay marriage? Just push it thru. A majority against more immigration? Set the floodgates even more open (just happened in my country). Some country's EU referendum not in line with a Brussels or Strasbourg Diktat? No problem, we'll just hold another referendum until they vote correctly. Overwhelming majority against inclusion of Turkey in the European Union? Talks are proceeding as if this majority lived on Pluto. And... why wouldn't it be that way? Because no matter how contrary to the will and aspirations of the population the deeds of our "elite" fuckwad politicians are... said population just swallows it in the end. No such thing like tea parties over here, although there's plenty of reasons for them.

BUT... at least in the United States... the citizenry hasn't been reduced yet to scared will-less, spineless, voting cattle, not believing in anything anymore but their holidays and pensions.


Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

- Ronald Reagan.

The people on these photos understand that.


MFBB.

No comments: