Saturday, August 29, 2009

SATURDAY NIGHT LOONY TUNES.

At the height of their career, Coldplay produced two excellent albums, A rush of blood to the head (2002) and X&Y (2005). As far as I'm concerned, there's seven hits on the former and some five or six on the latter. There are those that are convinced that Viva La Vida or Death and all His Friends (2007) is just as good but I beg to disagree. If you reckon that "A rush..." boasts jewels such as "Politik", "Clocks", "Daylight", "Green Eyes", and good songs as "In My Place", "God Put a Smile upon Your Face" and "The Scientist" and that half of these received a lot of airplay over the course of just one year upon release, while "Viva..." has until now, after almost two years, just the title song that rings a bell with most people, you know it's over. If you disagree, name me a song the equal of "Politik" and other than "Viva" (which I consider far worse than "Politik") and we will talk again. "Viva la Vida" is to Coldplay what "Be here now" was for Oasis, whereby the title song "Viva..." stands for the Gallagher's "D'you know what I mean". And when I heard "Stand by me" from the Gallagher's Bros., I knew they were definitely doners. It's the same when you listen to the rest of Colplay's work on their last album.

That said, and keeping in mind that Chris Martin is a half-baked clueless drooling new age idiot, enjoy Politik:





Further proof that you don't have to be mentally sane to produce excellent music is amply provided by Moby. The following hit, "In this world", is from his 2002 album 18. Two years later, Moby worked extensively with moveon.org, backing John Kerry's presidential campaign. Nuff said.





MFBB.

No comments: