Friday, September 29, 2023

WEEKEND MOVIE TIP: IMPOSTOR (2001).

Here's another sci-fi flick that got trashed on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic and it's all bull. Like Screamers, Impostor, also based on a short story by Philip K. Dick and starring a.o. Gary Sinise and Madeleine Stowe, is no grand cinema, but it's a decent mid-level player.





Here's the thing. Impostor, directed by Gary Fleder, didn't win any cinematographic prizes and tanked - seriously. It was a gross box office failure. Michael Cimino's The Deer Hunter won 5 Academy Awards, 1 Golden Globe Award and 2 BAFTAs, amongst others. It cost 15 million US$ to make and earned more than thrice that amount. But Impostor kept me, if not on the edge of my seat, at least captivated until the final dénouement, while halfway through The Deer Hunter I started asking myself when it would ever end (alas, I would be tested for yet another hour and a half). The only reason I kept watching is that afterwards I'd be able to boast that I had seen it!


It's all relative. But trust me, Impostor is *not* the train wreck Rotten Tomatoes would want you to believe. Have a nice weekend.



MFBB.

No comments: