Monday, May 24, 2004

Ok, so I just got back from 6 days in Atlanta, GA for my brother's wedding. I was going to post a history of Atlanta, but I don't think I could equal Michael's brilliance, so you'll just have to look it up. I will say that one of my heroes, William Tecumseh Sherman, burned the city down in the civil war. This event is still blamed for Atlanta being somewhat of a cultural wasteland in the eyes of some.

As far as the trip goes, I'm glad it's over. I had to give the best man's speech, which means I was not able to relax all week until the speech was over. I think I did pretty well; I even got away with a Jewish joke in front of a mostly Jewish crowd: "The name Frizzle is actually an old Yiddish word that loosely translates into 'gentiles from the north.'" I got laughs.

I lived in Atlanta for 9 years, and I can confidently say that overall I am glad that I left. Not that Atlanta doesn't have a lot going for it, but it's just too damned hot for too damned long, and has some of the worst suburban sprawl you could ever imagine. Our hotel was right in the middle of this mess, and it is depressing as hell to face that every day. I had forgotten what road rage was like until I had to face 8 lanes of motionless traffic again. Too many people living too close together. Good barbecue and Mexican food, though.

Anyway, I'm back and ready to blog. I've also decided that it should be a law that all homes and public places have wireless internet. I REALLY missed that.

No comments: