Tuesday, November 18, 2008

UPCOMING: VALKYRIE.

Here's one movie you don't want to miss. Even if you're not a World War Two nutjob like me.



Numerous attempts took place to assassinating Adolf Hitler. None came as close as the one staged by Count Colonel Klaus Schenk Von Stauffenberg on July 20, 1944. The fascinating story of that long ago endeavour was just begging to be filmed. Say about Tom Cruise what you will, but over the years I have grudglingly come to respect him as an actor. There was a time in my student's years when he did not seem all that indistinguishable from the Brat Pack, you know, Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Rob Lowe, Matthew Broderick etc etc. After all these years, there's basically only one still standing - and standing tall: Cruise. I'm sure there are other great actors out there able to play the charismatic Colonel - I think Clive Owen might have pulled off a good job too - but with Cruise I'm sure it's going to be a failsafe shot. The time for release seems incongruous - near year's end and Christmas. But then this is a timeless story. Don't miss it.


MFBB.

No comments: