Sunday, March 21, 2004

Hm, I did not expect an answer so soon. ME has preferred to respond via email and I was allowed to repeat his answer in full. While ME does not defend any stance for the moment (ME is preparing it, well I can't blame him/her because it took a lot of time for preparing mine), I nevertheless found it worthwile to post his/her letter. For one thing, it will convince you already that ME is not Layth.

Here it is:


Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for inviting me to comment on your guest entry. No, I do not think you are playing hardball. In fact I would have thought it strange if you had written otherwise. I enjoyed reading your balanced post with relevant links etc..

You reminded so much of a dear friend of mine 20 years ago today, with whom I used to have this type of conversation. It always ended up with S. screaming at me to convince me while I was trying my best to do the same ( minus the screaming of course ;)) . But I can see your screaming is only within, and I am pained for all those decent human beings like you who honestly care and want to understand and perhaps suggest a solution.

I admit I'm not as good as you are in providing links or quotations or other such items. I will try to convey my thoughts and the feelings. However, Michael please remember that I have no need to defend myself or anything or anyone else as this is not a Court but only a discussion with hopefully rational mature and cultured people wishing to understand someone/something alien to them. Twenty years later my friend admitted I was right, but that was never my aim "proving how right I am " . No my goal is to extend hands of friendship to people whom I grew up with and learnt to understand but who never did the same step in return as they simply assumed that I or my people would have to change/conform for their sake.

Nowadays it looks that there may be an opportunity for dialogue or better a 'multiplelogue'. I will address your fears and hopefully try to alleviate them, you obviously had time to prepare you 'ammunition' , so please allow me the necessary time as well. You may of course print this letter in your blog along with a greeting to all the others there.

No news yet of my sister, calling Iraq from here is only possible from internet. Their phone line is not repaired yet.

Best regards

ME


I swear to Allah that ME does not stand for Mad Engineer from Belgovakia or something. I'm not faking this thing up.

So ME, we are eagerly awaiting your response.

Mr. Tom, you might have noticed ME calls me decent. So now you hear it from somebody else.


Michael, United States of Belgium.

No comments: