Wednesday, March 24, 2004

OK, I'm off that topic for awhile and on to this assinine one...the Supreme Court begins hearing the case on the Pledge of Allegiance today. Is there any hope for political correctness not winning this one? Hell, when I was in high school, I was a liberal, and I would stand for the Pledge and refuse to say the "and justice for all" part, because I knew that there wasn't justice for all (and I'm damned ashamed of myself for it). What the hell, some high school students don't realize yet that it is a declaration of what America STANDS for, not what actually happens 100% of the time. But GROWN UPS? C'mon. Yeah, this guy's daughter is really traumatized because they say the Pledge and he's an atheist (she isn't old enough to know what she is, I don't care what anyone says) and "Under God" is in it. At least 75% of the country believes in some form of a higher being, so once again, this isn't protecting the minority from the impositions of the majority, it's forcing the will of the minority on the majority. Under God is widely recognized to mean "under whatever God you believe in". NOBODY, including school kids is forced to say those words, so the only argument really is that it comes down to protecting people from peer pressure (what a joke as if she isn't WAY more noticed now than she would have been).

Now, to be fair, I will admit that the phrase was put into the Pledge in the 1954, so we seemed to do just fine without it for more of our history than less. However, it now represents a larger culture issue. We've always had the motto "In God We Trust". On this decision rests MANY others. I can't say that I'm hopeful with the ridiculous statements we've been hearing from the likes of some justices of the court in the past few years, and with Scalia recused from this case odds go down more.

The question will be, legally does this constitute a violation of separation of Church and State?
While many lawyers think that it does, I'd argue otherwise. It doesn't say "under one Christian God", "under one Jewish God", or even "under one American God". Separation of Church and State was to save us from a "Church of England" scenario, not to say freedom FROM religion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. IF YOU DON'T LIKE OUR COUNTRY AND OUR TRADITIONS, YOU ARE WELCOME TO LEAVE.

Here's the basic story of how this came about if you haven't read it already.

No comments: